Saturday, April 13, 2024

Browse current and past upholstery projects.

18-01 La-Z-Boy Recliner

La-Z-Boy Recliner

Read more: La-Z-Boy ReclinerPerhaps it's the false sense of confidence that led us down this path, or maybe it's the request of a family member who asked if we'd recover their La-Z-Boy recliner, either way, we decided to take on a project of an entirely different magnitude from what we're used to working on! Until now, we've made new slip seat covers, bags, a few pieces of furniture but nothing that required more than a couple of pieces of fabric sewn together. This project brought a host of new issues, such as tufting, the art of placing buttons in a pattern on the front side of the chair's back and of course, covering the buttons in the first place. And then there's the issue of sewing many pieces of fabric together to get it to fit over the chair - something on the order of about 45 individual pieces of fabric that we had to cut and sew together!

Read more: La-Z-Boy ReclinerThe good news is, everyone is really happy with the outcome of this project! Shown here are "before" and "after" pictures. The new covering is a microfiber suede, which posed a new issue for us of having to contend with a directional nap in the fabric - once we determined the direction the nap was running, we were able to keep track of top of each piece as we cut it by placing a staple in what would be the seam allowance for that piece.

Read more: La-Z-Boy Recliner